Makes 4 servings
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 medium yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
10 white button mushrooms, thinly sliced (or you may purchase about 1½ cups sliced mushrooms)
¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
¼ cup olive oil, divided
4 medium to large boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2 pounds)
4 thin slices Provolone
4 hero rolls (7 inches in length – also called French or grinder rolls), split width wise, but not cut all the way through
Nutritional information per sandwich:
Calories 559 (41% from fat) • carb. 25g • pro. 57g • fat 25g • sat. fat 6g
- chol. 155mg • sod. 876mg • calc. 165mg • fiber 3g
- Fit the Griddler® Deluxe with the grill plates and preheat both plates to 400°F.
- While the grill is preheating, toss the onion, peppers and mushrooms with ½ teaspoon of the salt, ¼ teaspoon of the pepper and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Once grill is ready, place the vegetables on the lower grill plate. Close cover and grill until tender, about 10 minutes. Remove and reserve vegetables.
- While vegetables are cooking, season chicken breasts on both sides with the remaining salt, pepper and oil. Once vegetables have been removed, place chicken breasts on the lower plate. Close cover and grill for about 7 to 9 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. With about 1 to 2 minutes remaining, evenly divide the grilled vegetables onto the chicken, and then top with a slice of cheese. Using the cover height adjuster, close the upper plate so the hinge is set to the position where the upper grill plate is sitting just above the cheese but not touching it. Allow to cook until cheese is melted.
- Using tongs or a heat-proof spatula, carefully remove the chicken and allow to rest for a few minutes.
- While chicken is resting, place rolls, cut side down, on the hot grill. Close cover and grill for about 3 to 4 minutes to lightly toast.
- Remove rolls, top with smothered chicken and serve immediately