- 1 small onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 jalapeño, deseeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 can (28-ounces) diced plum tomatoes (two 14.5 ounce cans may also be used)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon sweet paprika
- ½ teaspoon sumac
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 large eggs, at room temperature
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- Torn fresh herbs (cilantro, mint, parsley) for garnish
- Crusty bread or warm pita for serving
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 188 (59% from fat) • carb. 10g • pro. 10g • fat 12g • sat. fat 4g • Col. 197mg • sod. 418mg • calc. 119mg • fiber 2g
- Insert Metal Chopping Blade. Add 1 small onion, 1 red bell pepper, 1 deseeded jalapeño, each cut into 1-inch pieces and 2 garlic cloves into the work bowl. Secure Cooking Lid.
2. Pulse to roughly chop, about 8 to 10 pulses.
3. Replace the Metal Chopping Blade with Stirring Paddle. Scrape down the sides of the work bowl and add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Secure the Cooking Lid with Steam Cap removed.
4. The cooking time is set for 10 minutes at 285°F on Speed 2.
5. Add one can (28-ounces) diced plum tomatoes, ½ teaspoon each salt, cumin, paprika and sumac with ¼ teaspoon pepper. Secure Cooking Lid with Steam Cap in place.
6. The cooking time is set for 15 minutes at 250°F on speed 2.
7. Remove the Cooking Lid and the Stirring Paddle. Make 4 indentations in the sauce with a large spoon; crack each egg and gently put one egg into each indentation.
8. Secure the Cooking Lid. The cooking time is set for 9 minutes at 220°F with no speed for a runny egg. More time can be added if preferred.
9. The eggs should be just set (egg whites should look opaque). Sprinkle ½ cup crumbled feta and torn fresh herbs (mix of cilantro, mint and parsley).
10. Serve immediately with crusty bread or warm pita.