Makes 8 rice balls
- 1 cup medium-grain white rice
- 2 cups water
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg, beaten well
- 3 tablespoons grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- ¼ cup ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup basil leaves, thinly sliced
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ounce mozzarella cheese, cut into 1-inch x ¼-inch pieces
- ¼ cup Italian-style breadcrumbs
- Olive oil, for spraying
- 1 cup prepared marinara sauce*, for dipping, optional
Nutritional information per rice ball: Calories 149 (24% from fat) • carb. 22g • pro. 5g • fat 4g • sat. fat 2g • chol. 35mg sod. 195mg • calc. 45mg • fiber 0g
- Put the rice, water and salt into a medium saucepan.Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.Once rice comes to a boil, cover and reduce heat to a simmer until all the water has been absorbed and the rice is tender, about 10 minutes.Cool fully before adding the following egg and cheese mixture; cooling the rice will help prevent the egg from cooking.
- In a small bowl, combine the egg, Pecorino, ricotta, basil and pepper.While mixing and fluffing the rice with a spoon, mix in the egg and cheese mixture.Spread the rice onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.Refrigerate to chill, at least 30 minutes.
- Once the rice has chilled, use slightly wet hands to scoop 3 tablespoons of rice and form into a ball.Repeat with remaining rice.Stuff each ball with one piece of the mozzarella and re-form if necessary.
- Place the AirFryer Basket onto the Baking Pan.Put the breadcrumbs into a small bowl.Gently toss each rice ball into the breadcrumbs and transfer to the basket.Spray all sides with oil.
- Put the assembled pan into Rack Position 2. Set to AirFry at 350ºF for 20 minutes.Cook rice balls until evenly golden.Serve immediately, with marinara sauce* on the side if desired.
*Reduce the red pepper flakes in the Diablo Sauce recipe on page 16 to about ¼teaspoon for a delicious marinara sauce.