- nonstick cooking spray
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 loaf (1 pound) challah bread
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch pieces
Nutritional information per serving:
Calories 420 (47% from fat) • carb. 44g • pro. 11g • fat 22g • sat. fat 12g • chol. 190mg • sod. 430mg • calc. 177mg • fiber 2g
- Lightly coat a 9-inch square pan with nonstick cooking spray; reserve.
- Put the eggs, milk, cream, vanilla, syrup, spices and salt into a medium mixing bowl. Whisk to completely combine.
- Using a serrated knife, slice the challah bread into strips that fit the length of the baking pan. Tightly fit half of the challah bread strips into the bottom of the prepared pan. Pour half of the egg mixture on top and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the brown sugar. Repeat with the remaining bread, laying the strips in the opposite direction of the first layer. Pour the remaining egg mixture on top, dot with the remaining brown sugar. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
For the TOB-80 or TOB-100 Models:
- Remove the pan from the refrigerator and bring to room temperature. Preheat the Compact Toaster Oven Broiler set to Bake at 350°F with the rack in position A for 5 minutes. Dot the top of the strata with the butter and loosely cover with aluminum foil. Bake for about 15 minutes; remove foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the strata reaches 160°F.
- Remove and serve immediately.
For the CSO-300 (Steam Oven):
- Remove the pan from the refrigerator and bring to room temperature . Dot the top of the strata with the butter and loosely cover with aluminum foil.
- Put the pan in the oven with the rack in the lower rack position. Set the oven to Bake Steam at 350°F for 25 minutes . Remove the foil and switch the unit to Broil at 500°F for 5 minutes, or until the top is browned and slightly crusty and the internal temperature of the strata is 160°F. Remove and serve immediately.