Makes 12 falafel
1 garlic clove 1 small shallot, cut into 1-inch pieces ½ cup dried chickpeas, soaked overnight, rinsed and drained ¾ teaspoon kosher salt ¹⁄8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper ¾ teaspoon ground cumin ¼ teaspoon ground coriander ¹⁄8 teaspoon chili powder ¹⁄³ cup packed fresh Italian parsley – stems and leaves 1 tablespoon unbleached, all-purpose flour ¼ teaspoon baking soda 1 tablespoon water Nonstick cooking spray Olive oil for spraying Pita for serving Chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, and lettuce for serving Tahini (optional)
Nutritional information per falafel: Calories 62 (44% from fat) • carb. 7g • pro. 2g • fat 3g • sat. fat 0g • chol. 0mg sod. 138mg • calc. 9mg • fiber 1g
- Insert the chopping blade into the work bowl of a food processor. Add the garlic and shallot and pulse to chop, about 5 times. Add the chickpeas, salt, pepper, spices, parsley, and flour. Pulse 6 to 8 times to coarsely grind the chickpeas. Scrape down and pulse a few more times. Remove and reserve ¹⁄³ cup of the mixture in mixing bowl.
- Dissolve the baking soda in the tablespoon of water. Turn the processor on, pour through the feed tube with the unit running to incorporate. Combine with the reserved ¹⁄³-cup mixture in the mixing bowl and stir together to combine.
- Using a tablespoon measure, scoop chickpea mixture and shape into 12 balls. Place the balls on a tray or plate lined with wax paper and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Place the AirFryer Basket onto the Baking/Drip Pan and spray liberally with nonstick cooking spray. Once chilled, transfer the falafel to the assembled basket in a single layer. Spray evenly with oil.
- Place the assembled tray into rack Position 2. Set to AirFry at 350ºF for 10 minutes, cooking until evenly browned.
- Serve falafel with sliced pita and veggies. Drizzle with tahini if desired