Makes about 24 meatballs, 4 to 6 servings
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs (from about 2 ounces day-old white bread, crusts removed)
- ⅓ cup buttermilk
- ¾ pound ground beef, preferably 20 percent fat
- ¾ pound ground pork
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for serving
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ¾ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup finely chopped Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh oregano
- extra virgin olive oil for coating the sheet pan
- warm tomato sauce, for serving
1.In a small bowl, pour the buttermilk over the breadcrumbs and mix to evenly moisten. Set aside to soak for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare the rest of the meatball mixture.
2.Break up the ground meat into a large mixing bowl. Add the remaining ingredients along with the reserved panade (the soaked breadcrumb mixture) and use your hands to gently fold the meat over itself, incorporating everything together, being careful not to over mix. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
3.Lightly coat a rimmed sheet pan with olive oil. Portion mixture using a medium cookie scoop to get 24 meatballs (approximately 2 tablespoons of mixture; 1½ ounces if you have a food scale). Use moistened hands to shape into balls and arrange 1 inch apart on the prepared sheet pan. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes (skip this step if pressed for time, but it helps meatballs to hold their shape in the oven).
4.Fifteen minutes before baking the meatballs, position oven racks to the middle and top of the oven and preheat the oven to 425°F. Bake meatballs on the middle rack for 10minutes, then set on the top rack and broil for 2 minutes, until golden brown.
5.Add meatballs to warm tomato sauce. Serve as a side or atop spaghetti sprinkled with grated Parmesan. Turn leftovers into a pizza topping.
Nutritional information per meatball (without tomato sauce):
Calories 86 (59% from fat) • carb. 2g • pro. 7g • fat 6g • sat. fat 2g chol. 39mg • sod. 185mg • calc. 32mg• fiber 0g