Makes about 11 cups
- 1 small sweet potato or butternut squash, about 8 ounces, peeled
- 1 red or white waxy potato, about 8 ounces, peeled
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 small red bell pepper
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons unbleached, all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup lager-style beer
- 4 cans (4 ounces each) diced and roasted, mild green chiles
- 4 to 5 cups chicken broth, low sodium, divided
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 recipe *Latin Shredded Chicken* or 2 pounds roasted chicken, shredded
- 1 can (15 ounces) red kidney beans
Nutritional information per serving (1 cup): Calories 233 (25% from fat) • carb. 21g • pro. 22g • fat 6g • sat. fat 3g • Col. 64mg • sod. 824mg • calc. 26mg • fiber 4g
- Insert the Dicing Assembly. Secure the Food Processor Lid. Dice a small, peeled sweet potato and white potato on Speed 12 using the medium feed tube.
- Remove and reserve, covering with water. Replace Dicing Assembly. Secure the Food Processor Lid. Dice the carrot and bell pepper.
- Remove and reserve separate from the potatoes. Insert Metal Chopping Blade. Add 4 garlic cloves with 1 seeded jalapeño and onion, each cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Secure the Food Processor Lid. The processor is set to chop for 8 seconds on Speed 12.
- Scrape the work bowl. Replace the Metal Chopping Blade with the Stirring Paddle. Add 4 tablespoons butter with the reserved carrots and peppers.
- Secure the Cooking Lid with the Steam Cap removed. The cooking time is set for 10 minutes at 285°F on Speed 2.
- Add 4 tablespoons flour. An additional 5 minutes of cooking time is set at 250°F on Speed 2.
- Add ¼ cup beer. The cooking time is set for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add 16 ounces chopped green chiles, 3 cups chicken broth and ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper. The cooking time is set for 15 minutes at 285°F on Speed 2.
- Remove the Stirring Paddle. Add the *Latin Shredded Chicken* (or 2 pounds roasted chicken, shredded), can of kidney beans and reserved potatoes, drained.
- The cooking time is set for 2 hours at 210°F with no speed.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with remaining teaspoon of salt, a pinch at a time. Add additional broth if a thinner consistency is desired.