Makes about 10 cups
- Makes about ¾ cup
- 1 small garlic clove
- 4 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 1¼ teaspoons kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ to ⅔ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 ounces red potatoes
- 6 ounces green beans, trimmed
- 1 small leek, washed well, white and light green parts only
- 1 small celery stalk, trimmed and cut to fit feed tube
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and trimmed to fit feed tube
- ½ small fennel bulb, trimmed, cored and cut to fit feed tube
- 1 small zucchini, cut to fit feed tube
- 1 small yellow squash, cut to fit feed tube
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, smashed and peeled
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth, low sodium
- 1 3 to 4-inch Parmesan rind
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups cooked ditalini pasta, optional
Nutritional analysis per serving (1 cup): Calories 462 (27% from fat) • carb. 74g • pro. 20g • fat 16g • sat. fat 1g • Col. 0mg • sod. 697mg • calc. 430mg • fiber 26g
Vegetarian • Gluten Free
- Make the pesto first.
- Insert Metal Chopping Blade. Add small garlic clove to the work bowl. Secure the Food Processor Lid. The processor is set to chop for 8 seconds on Speed 12.
- Add 4 cups packed basil leaves to the work bowl with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Pulse to roughly chop, about 5 pulses.
- With the processor running on Speed 10, slowly add ½ cup olive oil through the feed tube until completely incorporated.
- Taste. Add additional ½ teaspoon of salt or more if preferred. Remove and reserve.
- Wash and dry work bowl.
- Insert Slicing Disc adjusted to 3mm. Secure Food Processor Lid. Slice 6 ounces of green beans on Speed 12.
- Remove and reserve. Slice the leek. Replace the Slicing Disc with the Dicing Assembly. Dice 1 celery, ½ fennel bulb and 2 carrots using the smallest feed tube.
- Remove and reserve together, separate from the green beans. Dice 6 ounces red potatoes.
- Remove and reserve separately in water. Dice zucchini and yellow squash.
- Remove and reserve together. Insert the Stirring Paddle. Add 2 teaspoons olive oil, 1 smashed garlic clove, reserved leek vegetable mixture with ¼ teaspoon salt and a pinch of pepper.
- Secure the Cooking Lid. Cooking time will be set for 8 minutes at 285°F on Speed 2.
- Add the drained potatoes and green beans with an additional ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. The cooking time is set for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth and Parmesan rind.
- The cooking time is set to 10 minutes at 250°F on Speed 1.
- Add the zucchini, squash and drained can of chickpeas. The cooking time is set for 20 minutes at 210°F with no speed.
- The cooking time is set for an additional 10 minutes at 200ºF.
- Stir in 2 cups cooked ditalini, if using.
- Taste and adjust seasoning according to preference.
- Serve in individual bowls, topped with a dollop of pesto. Pesto is best stirred into soup right before eating.