- 1 cup chicken broth, divided
- 2 tablespoons balsamic glaze
- 1 teaspoon mashed black garlic
- ½ teaspoon 5 spice powder
- 2 boneless duck breasts (about 7 ounces each)
- 4 cups peeled sweet potatoes (cut into large dice)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- Several pinches salt, divided
- Several pinches black pepper, divided
- 1¼ cups shishito peppers
- ½ teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- ½ teaspoon rice vinegar
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Green onion curls *See note
No nutrition information available
- Is small casserole dish whisk together ½ cup chicken broth with the balsamic glaze, black garlic, & 5 spice powder. Score skin on duck breasts with a diamond pattern, with about ½ inch spacing. Be careful not to cut down to the flesh. Add to the marinade & turn over to coat both sides. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or over night, turning occasionally.
- Just before removing duck from the refrigerator, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add sweet potatoes & cook until tender. Drain, then add to a blender with ½ cup chicken broth, honey, soy sauce, ginger, butter, & a couple pinches salt & pepper. Blend until smooth. Set aside, keeping warm.
- Place a large heavy skillet over medium low heat. Remove duck from marinade & reserve liquid. Pat duck dry with paper towels. Sprinkle on each side with a couple pinches salt & pepper. Place duck skin side down & cook for 10-12 minutes or until nicely browned & crisp. Turn over & cook for 2 minutes. Place in another small casserole dish & bake for 6-8 minutes or until desired degree of doneness.
- Meanwhile, heat skillet with rendered fat to medium. Prick each shishito pepper once with a fork & add to the pan. Cook until peppers are blistered in places, turning often. Remove to a plate & toss with the sesame seeds & a pinch of salt.
- Add reserved marinade with a pinch of salt & pepper to a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer & cook until reduced by half. Strain through a metal fine mesh sieve or single layer of cheesecloth. Whisk in the rice vinegar.
- Remove duck from the oven & let rest for 7-8 minutes, then slice each breast into 6-8 slices. Spread sweet potato puree over each of 4 plates. Top with the duck, peppers, cilantro & a few green onion curls. Spoon sauce over each slice of duck & around each plate. Serve immediately.
- *Note: To make green onion curls, trim off the white and light green parts of a small bunch of green onions. Set aside for another use. Slice dark green tops into very thin strips. Plunge into ice water until they curl up. Drain on paper towels.