Makes about 3 cups
- 3 pounds red bell peppers (approximately 8 medium peppers)
- 8 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 2 shallots, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock or broth
- ½ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Place 4 red bell peppers on a prepared baking sheet with the 8 unpeeled garlic cloves.
3. Place in preheated oven. After 20 minutes, remove the garlic cloves and reserve in a large, heatproof bowl.
4. Return tray to oven and continue roasting peppers for an additional 30 minutes, flipping the peppers a few times so that they are evenly browned.
5. Once the peppers are charred all over, place them in the bowl with the garlic and cover tightly with plastic wrap.
6. Allow the peppers to cool and steam so that their skins become loose, at least 30 minutes.
7. Once cool, peel the skins off the garlic and each pepper and remove seeds. Reserve cleaned peppers with peeled garlic cloves.
8. While the peppers are resting, cut the remaining 4 peppers into 1-inch pieces.
9. Insert Metal Chopping Blade. Add two shallots, cut in half, to the work bowl. Secure the Cooking Lid with Steam Cap removed.
10. The processor is set to chop for 8 seconds on Speed 12.
11. Add the raw pepper pieces to the work bowl and Pulse to roughly chop. About 5 pulses.
12. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to the work bowl. Secure the Cooking Lid. The cooking time is set for 10 minutes at 275°F on Speed 2.
13. Add 2 tablespoons white wine. The cooking time is set for an additional 2 minutes.
14. Add reserved roasted peppers and garlic, and 1 cup chicken broth. An additional 10 minutes of cooking time is set.
15. Add ½ teaspoon lemon juice, ¼ teaspoon salt and a pinch of pepper. Pulse 2 to 3 times with Steam Cap in place.
16. The processor is set to blend for 40 seconds on Speed 12.
17. Taste and adjust seasoning according to preference.
18. Sauce keeps in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, in the freezer for 1 month.
Nutritional information per serving (½ cup): Calories 116 (38% from fat) • carb. 17g • pro. 3g • fat 5g • sat. fat 1g • Col. 0mg • sod. 111mg • calc. 14mg • fiber 5g