Makes about 36 kisses
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons confectioners sugar
- 4 large egg whites
- ⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ¾ cup granulated sugar, sifted (superfine is best)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla or almond extract
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips
Nutritional information per "Kiss": Calories 31 (21% from fat) • carb. 6g • pro. 0g • fat 1g • sat. fat 0g • Col. 1mg • sod. 6mg • calc. 1mg • fiber 0g
- Preheat oven to 225°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Brush the parchment lightly with tablespoon melted butter, then dust with 2 tablespoons powdered sugar, shaking off any excess sugar.
3. Insert Whisk. Add 4 egg whites and ⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar to the work bowl. Secure the Cooking Lid with Steam Cap removed.
4. The processor is set to whisk for 5 minutes on Speed 7. With 2 minutes left, slowly add ¾ cup sugar and teaspoon vanilla (or almond extract).
5. Carefully fold in ¼ cup mini chocolate chips with spatula.
6. Drop by rounded tablespoons onto prepared baking sheets, or gently place meringue mixture in a large pastry bag fitted with a ⅜-inch plain tip and pipe out "kisses".
7. Bake in preheated oven for 1½ hours; do not disturb once placed in the oven.
8. Turn off oven and let rest, undisturbed, in warm oven for an additional 1½ hours to dry out.
9. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.