Makes about 5 cups (ten ½-cup servings)
- 1¼ cups water
- 1¼ cups granulated sugar
- 1 whole vanilla bean, halved and seeds scraped
- pinch sea or kosher salt
- 2 cans (13.5 ounces each) unsweetened coconut milk
Nutritional information per serving (based on ½ cup):
Calories 233 (52% from fat) • carb. 28g • pro. 1g • fat 14g • sat. fat 13g • chol. 0mg • sod. 33mg • calc. 1mg • fiber 0g
- Combine the water, sugar, vanilla bean (including the pod) and salt in a medium saucepan set over medium-low heat. Bring mixture just to a boil and then remove from heat. Let mixture steep for 1 hour; strain (discarding pod).
- Add the coconut milk to the strained mixture. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours, or overnight. Whisk mixture again before pouring into the ice cream maker.
- Pour the mixture into the mixing bowl of the Cuisinart® Ice Cream and Gelato Maker fitted with the ice cream paddle. Turn unit on, set Timer and press Start. Let mix until thickened, about 60 minutes. The sorbet will have a soft, creamy texture. If a firmer consistency is desired, transfer to an airtight container and place in freezer for about 2 hours. Remove from freezer about 15 minutes before serving.