Makes 4 servings
¾ cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
¼ cup cocoa powder, sifted
¼ teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
¾ cup buttermilk
1 large egg
1½ tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1½ tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 teaspoon light brown sugar
2 firm bananas, each cut into 6 pieces
Nutritional information per serving (2 griddle cakes with ½ banana):
Calories 292 (33% from fat) • carb. 43g • pro. 7g • fat 11g • sat. fat 6g •chol. 78mg • sod. 332mg • calc. 66mg • fiber 3g
- Preheat the Cuisinart® Compact Grill Centro, fitted with the griddle plate, to Medium.
- While the grill is preheating (about 10 minutes), combine the flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda, and granulated sugar in a medium bowl. Stir with a whisk to blend.
- Combine the buttermilk, egg, 1½ tablespoons of melted butter and vanilla extract. Whisk to combine. Add the buttermilk/egg mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until just blended. Do not over mix.
- Using a ¼- to ¹∕ ³-cup measure, drop batter onto the preheated griddle plate. Cook pancakes until bubbles form, about 3 to 4 minutes; flip and cook until done, about 3½ minutes longer.
- While the griddle cakes are cooking, prepare the bananas. In a small mixing bowl, mix the other 1½ tablespoons of butter and light brown sugar together until well combined. Add bananas and toss to coat. Thread evenly onto skewers and fit into place (these can cook concurrently with griddle cakes. Start them after the first round of cakes). Cook until just softened, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Slice cooked bananas and serve on top of griddle cakes. For extra indulgence, dollop some freshly whipped cream and drizzle with chocolate sauce.