Makes 8 servings
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper,
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- (about 1½ pounds), pounded thin
- 2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1teaspoon paprika
- oil for frying (such as vegetable, canola or grapeseed)
- 4 prepared Spicy Cornmeal Waffles
- kept warm
Nutritional information per serving:
Calories 444 (29% from fat) • carb. 46g• pro. 34g • fat 13g • sat. fat 2g • chol. 104mg • sod. 690mg • calc. 181mg • fiber 3g
- In a medium, non-reactive bowl, stir together the buttermilk, hot sauce, mustard, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper. Add the chicken pieces and coat well with buttermilk mixture. Refrigerate overnight.
2. In a shallow mixing bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, paprika and remaining salt and pepper.
3. Preheat the Cuisinart® Compact Deep Fryer to 375°F.* While the oil is heating, line a baking pan with paper towels and insert a coolingrack inside the pan; reserve.
4. While the oil is heating, remove chicken from buttermilk mixture, and lightly coat each chicken piece evenly with the flour mixture, tapping away any excess.
5. Fry chicken in batches, about 3 minutes per side. Internal temperature of chicken should register 170°F. Transfer to prepared cooling rack.
6. To serve, quarter each waffle and serve 2 quarters with one piece of fried chicken and maple syrup on the side.
*If you do not have a deep fryer, the chicken can easily be fried on the stovetop. In a large sauté pan, add about 1 inch of oil and set the pan over medium-high heat. Using a deep-fat thermometer, bring oil to 375°F. Fry the chicken
in batches, about 2 pieces at a time. You do not want to crowd the pot or the oil will cool down too much and not fry well. Fry, flipping once,
until chicken is nicely browned, about 4 minutes per batch. Chicken should have an internal temperature of 170°F. Transfer chicken to the prepared cooling rack.