Makes about 8 cups (for the MSC-600); Makes about 5 cups (for the MSC-400)
- 2 to 2½ pounds beef chuck (reduce to 1¼ to 1½ pounds for the MSC-400 unit), cut into 1- to 2-inch cubes*
- 1teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion (reduce to 1 small onion for the MSC-400 model), peeled and finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots (reduce to 1 carrot for the MSC-400 model), peeled and cut into ½-inch rounds (halve rounds if carrots are on the larger side)
- 1medium parsnip (withhold if using the MSC-400 model), peeled and cut into ½-inch rounds
- 1small to medium celery stalk, thinly sliced
- ¾ pound small new white or red potatoes (reduce to only 4 potatoes, if using the MSC-400 model), quartered
- 6 garlic cloves (reduce to 4 cloves if using MSC-400 model), peeled, left whole
- 4 ounces cremini (baby bella) mushrooms, halved or quartered
- 1teaspoon dried herbes de Provence
- 1bay leaf
- ½ cup dry red wine
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 2½ cups beef stock (reduce to 1½ cups for the MSC-400 model), low sodium
- 1½ tablespoons cornstarch
- 1cup green peas, fresh or frozen
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley, for garnish
Nutritional information per serving (1 cup):
Calories 231 (40% from fat) • carb. 14g • pro. 21g
- fat 11g • sat. fat 5g • chol. 64mg • sod. 418mg
- calc. 42mg • fiber 3g
- Put all ingredients except for the cornstarch, peas and parsley into the cooking pot of the Multicooker.
- Set to Slow Cook on Low for 16 hours.
- Once the unit switches to Keep Warm, transfer 1 tablespoon of the stew liquid to a small measuring cup or ramekin. Stir in the cornstarch to make a slurry. Switch the unit to Brown/Sauté at 350°F to bring the stew to a boil. Stir in the slurry and allow to cook for about 1 to 2 minutes to thicken the stew. Stir in the peas and parsley and switch to Keep Warm (on Slow Cook) for serving.
- Taste and adjust seasoning accordingly.
Note: If you have time, you can brown the beef prior to slow cooking. Do this on Brown/Sauté at 400˚F prior to the first step