Makes about 3 cups
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter cut into tablespoons.
- 4 tablespoons unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt (if using cheese, reduce the salt to 2 pinches)
- Pinch ground nutmeg
1. Insert the Stirring Paddle. Add 6 tablespoons of butter to the work bowl. Secure the Cooking Lid with Steam Cap in place.
2. The cooking time is set for 3 minutes at 165°F on Speed 1.
3. Once butter has melted, add 4 tablespoons of flour. The cooking time is set for 10 minutes at 200°F on Speed 3.
4. The cooking time is set for 40 minutes at 205°F on speed 4. When started, gradually add 3 cups milk, ¼ teaspoon salt, and pinch ground nutmeg.
5. The béchamel should be thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon. If thicker consistency is desired add additional time.
Nutritional information per serving (¼ cup): Calories 97 (71% from fat) • carb. 5g • pro. 2g • fat 8g • sat. fat 5g • Col. 21mg • sod. 64mg • calc. 691mg • fiber 0g