- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small shallots, chopped*
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger*
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 pounds carrots, sliced*
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- pinch ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 cups vegetable or chicken broth, reduced sodium
- ½ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
Nutritional information per serving (based on 6 servings):
Calories 161 (32% from fat) • carb. 25g • pro. 3g • fat 6g • sat. fat 1g
- chol. 0mg • sod. 1133mg • calc. 88mg • fiber 5g
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Once hot, add the shallots, ginger and a pinch each of the salt and pepper. Sauté until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes. Add the carrots and raise the heat to medium/medium-high. Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, or until carrots are heated through and just starting to get tender. Add the remaining salt and pepper and the spices and stir to mix with the carrots to fully coat. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to let soup simmer, uncovered, for about 25 to 30 minutes (carrots should be completely tender).
- Stir in the lemon juice and blend using the blending shaft. Use an up-and-down motion until ingredients are smooth and completely combined. To help facilitate blending, tilt pot to one side away from you so the protective cover of the blending shaft is fully submerged.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
*These can be quickly chopped or sliced in the food processor attachment.