makes twelve tacos (6 servings)
- 4 ounces Monterey jack
- ¼ head romaine or iceberg lettuce
- 2 plum tomato, quartered
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- ½ to 1 jalapeño, seeded (some peppers tend to be hotter than others, so use your own judgment/preference on how much jalapeño to use)
- ½ medium onion, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- ¾ pound beef stew meat, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoons grapeseed or vegetable oil
- 1½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano pinch cayenne
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoon tomato paste
- ½ cup chicken broth, low sodium
- 12 small (3-to 5-inch) soft corn tortillas, kept warm sour cream or plain yogurt, for serving salsa, for serving guacamoles, for serving
Nutritional information per taco: Calories 110 (57% from fat) | carb. 4g | pro. 8g | fat 7g sat. fat 3g | chol. 25mg | sod. 264mg | calc. 67mg | fiber 1g
1.Insert the shredding disc into the work bowl of the food processor. Shred the monterey Jack. Remove and reserve, keeping it loosely covered so it doesn't dry out.
2.Flip the shredding disc to the slicing side (or switch to the slicing disc, depending on the model that you have). Slice the lettuce, remove and reserve. Slice the plum tomato into wedges. Reserve.
3.Remove the slicing disc and insert the chopping blade. With the machine running, drop the garlic and jalapeño through the feed tube and finely chop. Stop the machine, scrape down the sides and add the onion. Pulse to chop, about 7 times. Scrape down the sides once more, then add the stew meat. Using long pulses, chop the meat, pausing between pulses to allow meat to drop back down before pulsing again. This will take about 10 pulses to properly chop.
4.Put the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meat-vegetable mixture, spices and salt. Stir to combine and cook until meat is no longer pink. Add the tomato paste, and cook for about 1 minute; then add the broth, cooking until the broth has evaporated. Remove pan from heat and set aside.
5.To assemble tacos, put about 2 tablespoons of warm taco meat in the center of each shell. Top with a bit of lettuce, tomato and cheese. garnish with sour cream, salsa and guacamole.