- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
- 1 cup sweet onion, diced
- 1 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium sized jalapeño, diced
- 1 tablespoons of chopped cilantro
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground red cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1½ teaspoons cumin
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 2 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup finely shredded sharp cheddar
- sprigs of cilantro
- tortilla chips
No nutrition information available
1.In a large skillet, heat oil on medium high heat, add chicken strips, flipping to brown on all sides and cook through. Remove chicken and allow to cool.
2.In your Cuisinart food processor, place onion, peppers, cilantro, tomatoes, salt, red and black pepper, chili powder and cumin and puree. Pour the puree into a large pot and add the broth and pumpkin puree. Mix thoroughly and bring to a boil over medium high heat then lower heat to medium low and simmer.
3.Shred the cooled chicken strips with a fork. Add chicken and black beans to simmering puree and continue to simmer for 15 minutes. Serve chili with a tablespoon and a half of shredded cheese, a leaf of cilantro and tortilla chips.
4.Alternate serving suggestion for dramatic flare is to use 4 to 6 small pie pumpkins that have tops cut off and have seeds removed and have been baked at 250 degrees until slightly softened. Serve chili in the preheated pumpkins and topped with the cheese and cilantro leaf.