Makes about 18 muffins
- Nonstick cooking spray
- ½ cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup whole-wheat flour
- ½ cup rolled oats (not instant)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- ⅔ cup walnuts, lightly toasted
- 3 large peeled carrots
- ⅔ cup packed, light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
Nutritional information per muffin:
Calories 202 (60% from fat) • carb. 17g • pro. 4g • fat 14g • sat. fat 2g • Col. 31mg • sod. 147mg • calc. 17mg • fiber 2g
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly coat muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, add ½ cup flour, ⅔ cup whole-wheat flour, ½ cup rolled oats, teaspoon each salt, baking soda, cinnamon and orange zest. Stir to combine.
3. Insert the Metal Chopping Blade. Add ⅔ cup walnuts. Secure Cooking Lid. The cooking time is set for 5 minutes at 200°F on Speed 4 to toast.
4. Pulse to roughly chop the walnuts, about 5 to 8 pulses.
5. Replace Metal Chopping Blade with Shredding Disc Assembly adjusted to fine shred. Shred 3 carrots on Speed 12.
6. Reserve with dry ingredients. Stir well to combine.
7. Wipe the bowl and insert Metal Chopping Blade. Add ⅔ cup light brown sugar, 3 eggs, ⅔ cup vegetable oil and ½ teaspoon vanilla extract.
8. The processor is set to combine the ingredients for 10 seconds on Speed 10.
9. Add the reserved dry ingredients to the bowl. Pulse to incorporate ingredients, about 4 to 5 times.
10. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add ⅔ cup unsweetened coconut and ¼ cup sunflower seeds. Pulse 3 to 4 more times to completely incorporate.
11. Divide batter among the prepared muffin cups and bake in the preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick or cake tester comes out clean.