Makes 8 cups
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, cut into ¼-inch dice
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound dried brown lentils
- 5 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
Nutritional information per serving (1 cup): Calories 110 (16% from fat) • carb. 16g • pro. 7g fat 2g • sat. fat 0mg • chol. 0mg • sod. 515mg calc. 21mg • fiber 5g
Put the oil into the cooking pot of the Cuisinart® Pressure Cooker. Select Sauté. Once oil is hot, add the onion, carrot and garlic. Stir vegetables and cook until soft and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
Add the bay leaf, lentils and broth to the cooking pot. Secure lid and select High Pressure. Set time for 8 minutes. When the tone sounds, allow pressure to release naturally.
Once pressure has completely released, the red indicator will drop. Remove lid and add the salt, pepper and lemon juice. Discard the bay leaf. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
For variation, stir in chopped fresh spinach and freshly grated Parmesan when serving.