Makes one 9-inch loaf cake, 16 servings
- Unsalted butter, softened, or nonstick
- cooking spray
- 2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 14 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into
- 1- inch pieces, room temperature
- 1⅓ cups granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk, room temperature
- ⅔ cup sour cream, room temperature
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- pinch fine sea salt
Nutritional information per serving:
Calories 275 (44% from fat) • carb. 36g • pro. 3g fat 14g • sat. fat 8g • chol. 71mg • sod. 164mg calc. 13mg • fiber 2g
1. Preheat oven to 350°F with the rack in the
lower third position. Lightly coat a 9 x 5
x 3-inch loaf pan with softened butter or
nonstick cooking spray; reserve.
2. Put the flour, baking powder, and salt together
in a small mixing bowl. Mix on Speed 1 until
well sifted, about 30 seconds. Reserve.
3. Put the butter into a large mixing bowl and
using Speeds 2 to 4, cream butter until
softened. Add the sugar and lemon zest.
Mix well, using Speeds 2 to 5, until very
light in color, about 2 minutes.
4. Combine the oil, lemon juice, eggs, yolk,
and sour cream in a small bowl. Mix on
Speed 1 to combine.
5. While mixing on Speeds 1 to 2, gradually
add one-third of the dry ingredients to the
butter/sugar mixture, and then half of the
wet ingredients, alternating until all of the
ingredients are added and well mixed.
6. Transfer the batter to the prepared cake
pan and then place in the preheated oven.
Bake until cake is set in the middle and a
cake tester comes out clean, about 1 hour
and 10 minutes.
7. Allow cake to cool in pan on a cooling
rack for about 10 to 15 minutes, and then
remove from the pan and immediately wrap
in plastic wrap to cool a bit further.
8. While the cake is cooling, prepare the
lemon icing. Put all of the icing ingredients
into a small to medium mixing bowl and,
using Speeds 1 to 3, mix until completely
smooth, adding more sifted sugar or cream
to achieve desired consistency.
9. Once the cake is mostly cool, place it on
the cooling rack atop a baking pan (or foil
or parchment, something that will catch
excess icing). Drizzle or spread over cake
as desired. Allow icing to set and cake to
cool completely before cutting and serving.