- 6 small zucchini, halved lengthwise
- 1 pound bulk hot sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small Roma tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Sliced fresh basil
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray a 13x9-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Scoop out center of zucchini halves. Reserve 1 1/2 cups. Place zucchini boats in baking pan.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook sausage, stirring to crumble, about 6 minutes or until browned. Remove sausage to a medium bowl.
- Add onion and garlic to skillet, cook until onion is translucent. Stir in reserved zucchini, sausage, tomatoes, Parmesan cheese, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, salt and black pepper.
- Spoon mixture into the zucchini boats.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and top with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake an additional 5 to 6 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle with sliced fresh basil before serving.