Makes about 6 to 8 cups
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium to large onions (reduce to 1 onion for MSC-400 model), peeled and cut into ½-inch pieces
- 4 medium carrots (reduce to 2 carrots for MSC-400 model), peeled and cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 cups (reduce to 1 cup for MSC-400 model) ½-inch cubed eggplant (not peeled)
- 2 medium celery stalks (reduce to 1 stalk for MSC-400 model), cut into ½-inch pieces
- 4 garlic cloves (reduce to 2 cloves for MSC-400 model), smashed
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1½ teaspoons dried oregano
- 1½ teaspoons dried basil
- 4 roasted red bell peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons (reduce to 1 tablespoon for MSC-400 model) tomato paste
- 4 cans (15.5 ounces, each) diced tomatoes, strained, reserving 1 cup of the juice
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons (reduce to 2 tablespoons for MSC-400 model) granulated sugar
Nutritional information per serving (¼ cup):
Calories 55 (6% from fat) • carb. 11g • pro. 2g
- fat 0g • sat. fat 0g • chol. 0mg • sod. 433mg
- calc. 32mg • fiber 2g
- Put the oil into the cooking pot of the Multicooker; set to Brown/Sauté at 350°F. Once the oil is hot, add the onions, carrots, eggplant, celery, garlic and ½ teaspoon of the salt. Sauté ingredients together so that they gently cook and soften, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the oregano, basil, red peppers and wine to the sautéed ingredients. Cook until the wine has reduced by at least half. Add the tomato paste, tomatoes with the 1 cup of reserved juice, remaining salt, pepper and sugar. Bring mixture to a boil and then cover and switch to Slow Cook on Low for 3 hours.
- Once the 3 hours expire, the unit will automatically switch to Keep Warm. If you want to serve as a more rustic-style sauce, you can serve as is. If you want a smoother sauce, transfer to a blender in batches, and blend to desired consistency.