Makes 8 servings
- 4 pounds onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1tablespoon brown sugar
- 6 cups meat stock (half chicken and half beef is fine), hot
- 2 tablespoons Port
Nutritional information per serving (¾ cup without cheese): Calories 190 (31% from fat) • carb. 27g • pro. 6g • fat 7g • sat. fat 2g
- chol. 8mg • sod. 636mg. • calc. 53mg • fiber 3g
Combine onions, butter, olive oil and salt in the ceramic pot of the Cuisinart® Slow
Cooker. Cover and press the on/off button to turn the unit on. Set time for one
hour and press High. Once time elapses, reset time for 5 hours and press Low to
cook until nicely browned. Stir every hour so the onions color evenly.
When onions are done, sprinkle in flour and sugar. Cook on Low for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add hot stock and cook on High for one hour. Reduce to Low for 2 hours longer. Stir in Port.
Serve soup with slices of toasted French bread, topped with melted Parmesan cheese.