Makes 10 doughnut
- 3⅓ cups unbleached, all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening, cut into 8 pieces
- ¾ cup applesauce
- 2 large eggs
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar for dipping
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 341 (3% from fat) • carb. 49g • pro. 5g • fat 14g • sat. fat 3g • Col. 37mg • sod. 276mg • calc. 32mg • fiber 1g
- Insert Metal Chopping Blade. Add 3⅓ cups all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, ½ teaspoonsalt, ¼ teaspoon ground allspice, pinch grated nutmeg and ¾ cup sugar to the work bowl.
2. Secure the Cooking Lid.The processor is set to sift for 20 seconds on Speed 6.
3. Add 2 tablespoons shortening, cut into 8 pieces, into the work bowl and Pulse to cut the shortening into the dry ingredients.
4. Put ¾ cup applesauce and 2 large eggs together in a liquid measuring cup.
5. The processor is set to run on Speed 12. When started, add the liquid ingredients through the Steam Vent until just combined.
6. Chill the dough to rest in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
7. Once rested, place the dough on a generously floured surface and dust with flour as the dough will be rather sticky. Roll out to ½-inch thickness.
8. Cut dough with a floured round or doughnut cutter (about 3½ inches). If using a round cutter, use a smaller round cutter for the doughnut hole.
9. Place doughnuts and holes on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet or tray.
10. Put an inch of vegetable oil into a wide and heavy sauté or casserole to deep fry. Heat the oil to 350°F over medium/medium-high heat.
11. Fry doughnuts in batches, about 2-3 minutes per side. Remove and drain on layered paper towels. Toss in powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar before serving.